Tuesday, July 28, 2015

An Interview with the Director [Part One: Relationships]

To live in a movie
Scene 1: [The paparazzi start shooting as the director enters the room]

Reporter: What is your biggest dream in life?
Director: To live my life in a movie.

Scene 2: Close up; The director sitting in a chair, narrating [on personal relationships]:

Director: Well, it’s hard to know where to begin. There are so many unfinished acts in my life I wouldn’t know which one to choose, which one to follow up on, which one to finish.  I am always amazed at people who get to do few things in parallel, all seemingly successfully and still have time for a hobby or a family. For me, just doing groceries and organizing a small get together in the same day seems to be a challenge. But I think some of it has to do with my social illiteracy. Not having the right alphabet to relate to people or establish a meaningful relationship with anyone. Take my last 4 dates. Complete disasters. By the 3rd one, I almost called in sick, except I was afraid she may ask for a doctor’s note.

Scene 3: The director and a girl in a coffee shop; director’s voice-over is narrating the event while the camera frames him and the woman sitting at the table:

Director: I remember Claudia, a very bright Mexican exchange student who was here to do part of her Master’s degree in architecture. I saw her over at my friend’s birthday party and we seemed to hit it off. So I called her up a couple of days later to see if she wants to meet up for a cup of coffee and a movie and she said yes. I remember I was very excited; she was very bright and genuinely seemed to enjoy having a conversation with me. Things, though, were very different in a one on one setting. I was very worried about not having anything to talk about and what do you know, I had nothing to talk about. Forty minutes into our date she faked a headache and left. I didn’t even know women bothered to fake headaches while having coffee but I guess there is a first for everything.

Scene 4: Close up. The director sitting in a chair talking reflectively:

I am sick. I really am. Maybe I should get that doctor’s note just in case I chicken out the last minute before I go out to meet her. I mean think about it, the whole thing is just like an interview: Have you had a similar experience in your previous relationship? What makes you a good companion? Where do you see this relationship in two years? I am already thinking this can’t lead to a promotion. And I’ll probably get a call saying: “thank you for your interest in me, unfortunately, at present I do not believe you could be successful in this position. I do, however, keep your number in file in case my circumstances change at which point I expect you to be ready to take your place in my heart as soon as possible”. What a tragedy that is.

Scene 5: The director being interviewed about social illiteracy:

Well, I mean yes, I do believe there is an element of social illiteracy in my interactions, I think I am probably one of the few who is conscious of it. Most people around me are socially illiterate, no doubt. If there was a world ranking for it, like there is for math and science, I think I’d rank in the lower half of the table slightly ahead of Hitler but probably behind Ghadafi.
              Q: But how is that a problem?
Well, it’s not if you don’t care.
              Q: But doesn’t that affect the quality of relationships and friendships?
It does but again if you’re comfortable with less quality and depth in your interactions you’re fine.  You CAN tweet your way into or out of relationships, you can remotely “poke” and virtually “like”. What’s wrong with that? I had an entire relationship based on electronic emoticons. And then I deleted myself and blocked her, or the other way around, don’t quite remember now. I was really sad. I used the crying icon to convey my feelings.
              Q: Do you like frogs?
Yes, I do
              Q: Have you ever kissed one?
Yes, by accident
              Q: What did it taste like?
Chicken
              Q: Have you ever kissed a chicken?
Well, yes, but again by accident
              Q: And the taste?
Surprisingly, not like chicken
Q: Do you think life has meaning?
I am sure it does, but I’m still looking for the dictionary that has the definition. Right now it’s all Chinese to me. And I don’t mean the simplified version.

...To be continued

No comments:

Post a Comment